Choose Fredericton – Student Retention Event Announced
Fredericton, NB – June 25th, 2013 – On this date, the Choose Fredericton Mixer, focused on student/talent retention, was announced for Wednesday, October 2, 2013, from 4:00-7:00 pm taking place at UNB’s Richard J. Currie Centre.
Choose Fredericton is aimed at creating connections between our students and the local business community, facilitating an opportunity for them to network about local/future career opportunities in a comfortable setting, as well as networking with other young people who have established careers here. The event will also include an expo of community organizations and attractions to showcase all there is to see and do in Fredericton.
Under the umbrella of the Fredericton Chamber of Commerce’s Economic Development Committee -- the City of Fredericton, Enterprise Fredericton, Provincial Department of Post-Secondary Education, Training & Labour, University of New Brunswick, St. Thomas University, New Brunswick Community College, Eastern College, the Centre for Arts & Technology, Atlantic Business College, Fredericton Region Young Professionals and Entrepreneurs (FRYPE), and numerous other partners have teamed up to plan a meaningful event for the students.
“The primary goal of Choose Fredericton is student retention so that we have a skilled workforce available to meet demand. By tapping our talent pipeline, local businesses will be able to grow, expand, and plan for succession, and the city will be able to attract new businesses and investment” said committee co-chairs – Laurie Guthrie & Heather Black.
In preparation for this first-time event, students from the Centre for Arts and Technology under the direction of Troy Moore (Department Head, Graphic Design & Web Development), designed a series of creative (see below) to brand the event, which was unveiled.
Visual Identity/Logo: The choice of font colour represents the flowing river. The “CF” icon includes (1) a symbolic arrow pointing towards the word “Fredericton,” encouraging students to choose Fredericton as a place to work and live after their post-secondary education; and (2) geographically, the arrow points eastward directing students to Fredericton in response to the lure of the West.
Creative Treatment for Website/Communications: Features an iconic cityscape with silhouetted images synonymous with Fredericton:
- Abundant recreation symbolized by: the Bill Thorpe Walking Bridge connecting the north and south sides by 88km of trail winding throughout the city; a kayaker; and a cyclist with the two O’s in “Choose” representing the wheels and the City’s commitment to the environment and sustainability.
- Fredericton’s natural landscape and scenery is represented by our most treasured asset – the beautiful St. John River also symbolizing strength and the growth of our community. The trees depict the ‘city of stately elms’ and 3,076 acres of parks and green spaces with over 60 % tree canopy.
- The martini glass communicates fun, and symbolizes Fredericton’s vibrant downtown with one-of-a-kind boutiques, restaurants and bars.
- The artistic interpretation of the Beaverbrook Art Gallery’s ‘Dali’ represents our hip, young art and cultural scene with the blues guitar symbolizing our internationally renowned Harvest Jazz and Blues Festival.
- The City’s rich history can be interpreted by the iconic buildings like City Hall.
The Choose Fredericton Mixer is a component of an ongoing effort to attract and retain talent in our community. Interested students, employers, businesses, community organizations / attractions can visit: www.choosefredericton.eventbrite.ca or call Shane Gunter – Economic Development Intern at 460-2689 to learn more information.